Thursday, May 24, 2007

In Constant Rotation + Respect to Another Soul-Jazz Empress: London Elektricity + the Mighty Liane Carroll




I've always loved London Elektricity and been despondent that I never got to see the live show while it was still extant, but I did not know about the Live at the Scalia disc/DVD set until I stumbled on it while doing research before Tony Colman's LE US DJ tour in March of '07. Ever since its purchase I cannot seem to stop its constant 24/7 rotation, and have been playing NOTHING else (except for occasional "Love Bug" breaks (see the M-Flo post below)), with this masterwork of live D+B infiltrating my speakers for days on end.

With that in mind, I have also always loved the flawless vocal phrasing of Liane Carroll, and while I have to continue to stew in my jealousy that my girl – and the other true soul-jazz goddess – Tessa Souter got to see Liane at Ronnie Scott's while she herself was in London to kill it at Pizza on the Park, I now at least have the LE live set and this sonically miraculous take on "Dublin Morning" to content myself with. Though it should go without saying, the bit of loveliness that is "Dublin..." has that radiant, sun-kissed Style Council-via-Terry Callier lustre that nothing else can rival, or tarnish. And yes, the other reason for my loving her is clearly her penchant for maintaining a vocal elegance to rival Nancy W. and Cleo L.... even while belting coral-reef-collapsing dancefloor killers with Tony Colman and co., as on this gorgeous take on "My Dreams," with Liane aptly covering for (the great) Robert Owens to say the f*cking LEAST. And as for any other thoughts on Liane you might have while watching these clips, she clearly has a beautiful spirit and my directive is to just close your eyes and soak in that mighty voice.

No comments: