Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Mighty Ms. Bridgewater


I had the massive honor of seeing the mighty Dee Dee Bridgewater at Catalina here in L.A. last Thursday, and it was every bit as miraculous as the first time I saw her. Less afro-Latin fire/jazz-dance killers this time around (a good thing because one of the worst things about a staid jazz club is of course that you cannot dance), and more deep, slow-burning funk. And most astonishing was that she opened with her stunning version of "Afro-Blue" (the 1974 Trio version of which is one of her most sublime vinyl sides). Also included were an only slightly truncated version of "Love for Sale" (meaning that it clocked in at only 12 minutes rather than the 18-minute take included on her (ESSENTIAL) Live at Yoshi's), and a rare as hell Neal Hefti song called "Girl Talk" that was transmuted into a colossal bit of funk. (When introducing a Neal Hefti feminine anthem I quite naturally assumed that she was about to tear into "Sex + the Single Girl." No such luck, but it was still lovely.)

Her vocal prowess continues to be neck-snappingly brilliant at every turn. This woman can do ANYTHING vocally, and sound achingly beautiful doing it, and why I hold her to clearly be the mightiest jazz girl in DECADES (for the simple reason that she absolutely f*cking is), and why when talking to her after I straight-up told her that she is the goddess of the world (at which she kissed me and thanked me profusely – gorgeous!). I also tripped her out by telling her that I nearly yelled for "Flying Saucer" (at which she asked me how the hell I knew about that song – naturally because I love United Future Org.). If you EVER have the chance to see and her Dee Dee live, you OWE IT TO YOURSELF to get your ass there. xo, B.

No comments: